When you’re sick, it’s easy to put your life on hold until you get better. But there are a few things to consider when it comes to caring for your teeth and mouth when a cold sets in.
1. Don’t share your toothbrush. Although it’s not recommended to share a toothbrush ever, it’s common practice to avoid this during times of illness as germs and the flu virus can live on moist surfaces for up to 72 hours.
2. Use sugar-free cough drops. Did you know that many popular throat lozenges are packed full of sugar? As a cough drop is designed to last in your mouth for several minutes, that means that sugar can build up on your teeth. Opt for sugar-free cough drops and cough medicine in pill form versus liquid.
3. Stay hydrated. When your nose is stuffed and your throat is itchy, you may feel like your mouth is more dry than usual. Remember to drink water throughout the day to keep hydrated.
4. Rinse after getting sick. If you’re battling a stomach bug and find yourself queasy, brush and rinse your mouth after vomiting to prevent stomach acid from building up on your teeth.
5. Purchase a new toothbrush. After you’re feeling better, start using a new toothbrush to get rid of unwanted germs that may linger around your old brush.
To protect your teeth for the long run, remember to schedule your routine visits with us. Simply contact the friendly team at Essential Dental Golden Grove today on (08) 8251 7677 so you can ‘discover the difference’.